I love kale and I feel that sometimes people get annoyed with the love people have for kale, but you know what? My love for kale can’t be bothered. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
Why do I love kale so much? It’s a freaking super food – it’s low in calories, insanely high in vitamin A (206% in just one cup), tons of vitamin C and it’s a fantastic source of minerals like copper, potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus.
Plus, it’s super versatile – you can add it to smoothies/juices, mince it thinly and add it to pastas, soups, salads, steam it, saute it, blend it into sauces or add it to eggs in the morning (which is so amazingly delicious – I’ll post more on this later).
Anywhoo, here is a quick pasta recipe using kale – I love recipes where I can swap things out – so feel free to make it your own. For example, use shrimp instead of chicken if that’s what you have on hand or what you are craving. Or you can put more of an Italian twist and swap out the smoked paprika for fennel seeds, parsley, and basil. Or you can swap out the rigatoni for orzo or brown rice – the carb choice is up to you, my friend. And if you choose to leave out carbs it’ll still be tasty, I promise. No rules here, just good food 🙂
IServes: 4-5 people
Prep: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Marinade (at least 1 hour before cooking, the more time – the better):
2-4 raw skinless and boneless chicken breasts (thinly sliced)
2 tablespoons dried roasted red peppers
1 tablespoon dried basil
1/2 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 box of Barilla Rigatoni Pasta (make sure it’s a little under cooked aka al dente)
1/2 a medium onion diced
3-4 garlic cloves finely chopped
2 cups/ approx. 15 small button mushrooms (thick slices)
2 cups finely minced raw kale
1 cup/1 medium zucchini (thinly sliced)
Annnnnnd here we go!
1. Cook pasta and make sure it’s slightly under cooked because it will be put in a hot pan later on.
2. Heat a medium-to-large sauce pan on medium heat.
3. Once the pan is hot, add the marinated chicken and cook thoroughly.
4. After the chicken is cooked add the onion and garlic – 2 minutes.
5. Add the mushrooms and a splash (1/4 cup) water and cover with lid. – 2 minutes.
6. Add zucchini – mix everything really well in the pan. Cover. 2 minutes. Make sure to not overcook it.
7. Uncover. Add pasta and combine everything making sure the pasta is mixed in really well. 2 minutes.
8. Toss in finely sliced kale. The steam and heat from everything will wilt the kale. 1-2 minutes.
9. Shut off heat. All done!
Happy Kale Adventures!